MetroHealth’s Michael Dalton recognized as one of the nation’s top young health care professionals by Modern Healthcare magazine
Michael Dalton, MetroHealth’s Director of State Government Relations, has been recognized as one of the nation’s top young health care professionals by Modern Healthcare magazine.
Dalton, 37, was named one of only 15 “Up and Comers,” a designation given to executives age 40 and under “who have made significant contributions in the areas of health care administration, management or policy.” He was profiled in Modern Healthcare’s October 15 issue.
Although Dalton has been with MetroHealth for less than two years, his achievements have been nothing short of astonishing:
- He led a coalition of safety-net providers and public hospitals to create and secure $200 million for the Care Innovation and Community Improvement Program. This innovative program will provide millions in new resources to help MetroHealth combat the opioid epidemic.
- He led a coalition of community health clinics and safety-net hospitals in protecting the savings from Ohio Medicaid’s 340B drug discount program, saving MetroHealth more than $10 million annually.
- He worked with the Ohio Hospital Association and a small cadre of his fellow government-relations professionals to halt provider rate cuts that would have cost the system nearly $25 million annually.
- He also worked to quash the latest attempt by the Ohio Legislature to reverse the state’s successful expansion of Medicaid.
- In early 2018, he secured $750,000 in funding from the state’s capital budget for MetroHealth’s West 25th Street Revitalization Project.
If those accomplishments weren’t enough, Michael worked with the state legislature to remove a geographic restriction that had been a part of Ohio law since the inception of county hospitals a century ago. With its removal, MetroHealth is now permitted to provide health care services outside its home county and into nine surrounding counties, potentially giving nearby communities access to more choice, MetroHealth’s quality care and the system’s unique mission.
Click here to see all 15 of Modern Healthcare’s 2018 Up and Comers.